Thursday, February 26, 2009

I'm alive! I promise!!

I am so sorry it's taken me so long to update this-- I think I felt like I couldn't update it until I had something brilliant to say, and also felt that once I updated it, I had to immediately cover everything that's happened in the last month and a half-- which got more and more intimidating, to the point that I just never wrote anything at all. BUT, I've decided that it's better to just start and not worry about it being perfect, so to that end, my first post isn't going to be about Greece at all. Well, I suppose it is tangentially, because being in Greece has reaffirmed my decision to go into museum studies, but in and of itself, it's not.

Anyway, I subscribe to a museum listserv, which is basically people who work in museums posting emails about anything from "Help! How does your museum store branding irons?" to "Problem with Difficult Coworker-- Please Advise" to my personal favorite: "Summer Internships for 2009." Anyway, there was an email today about a temporary slightly above entry-level museum position that had just been announced:

"Museum Project Assistant. Bachelor's degree in Museum Studies or History preferred with three months experience. Individual must have proficiency in CONTENT and or Past/Perfect. Individual must have experience in image editing software (Adobe Photoshop), creating metadata and transcriptions, and general interest or knowledge about Osteopathy and Osteopathic Medicine. Individual must also have experience in reading handwritten manuscripts and be proficient in computer operating systems."

Guess what this position, with its education and experience requirements, pays?

$8.58 an hour. $8.58 AN HOUR. With benefits, but still!!! You can make more than that babysitting!!!

Oh, well... You do what you love, and the money will follow...?

I promise I will update soon with lots of fascinating tales of my life in Greece. (and Turkey!)

No comments:

Post a Comment